Webquest title: Children’s Games: Yesterday and Today
Discipline and grade: English 4th to 5th grade
Title: Niños con calabazas c.1682
Author: Pedro Núñez Villavicencio
After studying in detail the painting, Niños con calabazas, by Pedro Núñez Villavicencio the students will:
- Infer the social background and life aspects of the children portrayed in the painting, paying special attention to their clothing and the environment around them.
- Infer what the children may be talking about and practice the writing skills by creating a short dialogue.
- Practice the oral language skills by acting out the created dialogues.
- Practice their writing skills by creating a short fictional story about a day in the children’s life.
- Review and use the elements of a short story in their fictional story.
- Compare and contrast children’s games and way of entertainment in the 17th Century and the 21st Century using a chart or a Venn diagram.
- Create a new version of the painting, Niños con calabazas, by drawing or painting a picture of children playing today in the 21st Century.
Author: Dra. Teresita Santiago